Third-Year Core Courses
C310 Budgeting and the Bottom Line
Every organization tries to stretch available dollars as far as possible through wise spending, responsible income forecasts, and sound expense projections. Examine the concepts you need to put together meaningful budget-based financial reports to help you better manage your organization during difficult times.
- Developing program-based budgeting for tracking the real financial results and staying ahead of the curve.
- Building a better budget.
- Exploring other critical budget considerations.
C330 Everyday Ethics
Become aware of the pitfalls, red flags, and troublesome routine activities to avoid. Learn how to protect your character and your organization.
- Examining how individuals and organizations think, act, and develop policies.
- Learning how to perform an ethical analysis of an organization.
- Determining if structure or policy changes are necessary to avoid ethical conflicts.
C340 Strategic Planning
Successful organizations plan strategically for the future. By following a few basic principles, your organization can develop a strategic plan to give direction for governance and management.
- Understanding processes for strategic planning.
- Implementing strategic planning tools and techniques.
- Translating the strategic plan into action.
C341 Building Strategic Partnerships
Long- and short-term partnerships with other organizations can help your organization reach community goals that may be unattainable if attempted alone. Form cooperative arrangements with others to pool resources and to achieve great things.
- Understanding the importance of coalitions and strategic alliances.
- Implementing steps for effective collaboration.
- Defining and evaluating outcomes of strategic partnerships.
C360 Culture of Innovation
Organizations compete to show their value and relevance among current and potential members. Learn how to build a creative and innovative culture in your organization. Utilize tools to select the best ideas, evaluate the details, and see the best ideas through.
- Defining a creative and innovative culture.
- Creating and cultivating an innovative culture.
- Making the business case for innovation.
C380 Volunteer Development
It is challenging to identify, attract, and retain quality volunteer leaders. Examine leadership and succession programs in nonprofit organizations through strategic volunteer development.
- Developing volunteer leadership.
- Implementing successful strategies to recruit organizational leadership.
- Building a volunteer structure for future leaders to emerge.