This Halloween, as neighborhood children start ringing doorbells and asking for treats in your community, take the time to think about those who are “knocking” on the door of your organization.
Understanding your members, and their needs, is a pivotal part of running a membership-based organization. Don’t “trick” your members; “treat” them to the benefits that drove them to join your organization.
Don’t be scared! There are a few great ways to better understand your members:
Send Meaningful Surveys
- Send out an annual survey to your members asking them basic information about themselves and/or their company. Make sure to ask quality demographic questions as well as opinion based questions.
- After gathering the data, analyze it and use the information to tailor events to their needs and wants. Remember, you can’t make everyone happy, but this is a great opportunity to reevaluate current programs and brainstorm for potential new ones.
Host Networking Events
- Networking events aren’t only a great way for your members to meet each other, but also a pivotal way for you to get to know your members.
- Don’t be afraid to utilize the nametag! Give members an opportunity to put a face to your name as you also get to know them better.
Give One-on-One Time
- Nothing beats the time spent connecting with your members one on one. We understand that it might be hard to give a lot of personal time to individuals, but that connection might be the difference between a member dropping their membership and renewing.
Knowing your members’ wants, needs, and expectations allows you to give them a more complete membership experience. As you open the door this Halloween to friends and strangers alike, remember that anyone who enters your organization should be treated just like a child on Halloween; with open arms (and perhaps a bowl filled with candy).