First-Year Core Courses
C110 Financial Fitness
One of the leading reasons for subpar financial performance and job loss in the nonprofit industry is poor financial managerial skills. Don’t let this area be the cause of your demise. Learn what makes a nonprofit organization different from a for-profit company and maximize your potential.
- Establishing better comprehensive financial reporting procedures and analysis.
- Gaining a better understanding of key compliance issues of Federal Form 990 impacting your organization and learn how to tell “Your Good Story.”
- Understanding advanced compliance issues related to the Form 990 and governance.
C125 Hiring, Firing, and Everything In Between
Recruiting, retaining, and supporting employees can be among the most difficult and time-consuming duties of any supervisor. Learn techniques for managing employees—from recruitment to separation—and key benefit trends for retention.
- Hiring, orienting, and training top-notch employees.
- Evaluating work performance.
- Ensuring compliance and effective steps for separation.
C130 Unleash the Leader Within
As we manage people, tasks, and our careers, focusing on our personal leadership style sometimes falls to the wayside. Leadership is an integral part of becoming a successful professional. Acquire the skills you need to become the leader you want to be.
- Utilizing tools needed to be a leader.
- Understanding deterrents to successful leadership.
- Identifying styles of effective leaders.
C150 Communicating With Confidence
Delivering an important message can be a difficult skill to master. Learn to communicate your message whether in the mailroom or boardroom.
- Honing your verbal and non-verbal communication skills.
- Delivering your ideas as messages that resonate.
- Building an effective presentation.
C180 Guide to Governance
A sound governance structure is needed to ensure success at all levels of an organization. Create a great organization through strong relationships with volunteers.
- Building a solid governance structure.
- Enhancing volunteer support for governance.
- Reviewing key governance documents.
C185 Recruit, Engage, and Retain Your Members
Organizations that retain their members listen to them and exceed their expectations. Identify the myths and realities about keeping members and become familiar with approaches that you can use to deliver products and services to meet members’ ever-changing needs.
- Understanding typical member retention rates and patterns.
- Identifying ways to gauge member needs and satisfaction.
- Implementing techniques to identify and deliver the products and services your members want.