Are you feeling refreshed? New Years resolutions still in-hand? Excellent!
Happy New Year!
While you are in the mode of self-improvement and being goal-oriented, I want to share a few tips that may help you in your work with your team.
This past summer I taught a class about motivating leadership for the US Chamber of Commerce Foundation Institute for Organization Management. From this class is a list of practical ways to build your leadership on a day-to day-basis. Below are some of my favorite, very practical tips, that you can use. Just creating the list gave me the ideas and reminders that I needed as well. See what you think!
Practical Ways to Build Your Leadership Style and Motivate Your Team
- Be authentic
- Get feedback on your leadership
- Continue learning
- Be honest and trustworthy
- Be transparent and consistent
- Don’t take it all too seriously; have a sense of humor
- Be confident and courageous
- Your arrival sets a tone everyday. Say “good morning”
- Lead by example. They are watching you!
- Speak to everyone daily that reports to you directly
- Make time weekly to meet with each person that reports directly to you
- Recognize achievements
- Provide regular, timely feedback- Use simple, powerful words – “thank you”, “you did a nice job”
- Listen first
- Ask individuals what motivates them, support their advancement
- Address conflict to keep a positive work environment
- Set the vision for the team, be clear on the mission
- Assure all knows their role, goals and what you expect
- Start on the right foot – onboard team members well
- Help people understand how their job fits in the larger context
- Say “yes” to your team members, trust in them and their ideas
- Update the team after meetings so all are in the loop
- Be inclusive — “all at the table”
- Have positive and negative consequences to actions; ignoring bad behavior is demotivating to others
Remember that every person is motivated in some way. You cannot motivate another person, but you can set up a culture that encourages motivation.
You can do this! Best to you in 2018.